Penrith Herald 19th December 1914


In the course of a letter to his relatives, Private David Wigston, of the 2nd Border Regiment, now at the front gives some particulars of the cutting up of the 2nd Border at Ypres. Pte Wigston is a brother of Mrs R.D. Wood, Chestnut Hill, Keswick.
Writing under the date 1st December, Pte Wigston after detailing what life in the trenches means, says:- In some of of our trenches they have issued sheepskin coats and provided us with fire buckets to wash in so we have nothing to grumble about except when it rains. We are well provided for with everythingexcept writing paper and envelopes. It is awful to see the damage that has been done round here, big farms have been knocked down and things are dying all over the place, furniture smashed up and everything rummaged. Ypres a Belgian frontier city was being shelled when we were passing through it, we are now to the south of the war theatre and are in billets so feel better for a warm bath , haircut and general clean up. We expect to go into the trenches again tonight, I do not think there is much chance of getting home for Christmas as the Germans are receiving more reinforcements, they have been ordered to charge through us by the 10th December.
There are not many left in our regiment that I know as we have had very heavy casualty list at Ypres, only a little over 300 left out of 1,100.

5th December- since begining this letter we have been in the trenches again, we were inspected by the King on 1st of December and are now in the same billets again with 500 odd reinforcements, it is very wet weather here.

Penrith Herald 26th December 1914

Mrs R.D. Wood Chestnut Hill, Keswick, has received a letter from her brother Pte David Wigston of the 2nd Border Regiment, stating that he has been wounded. He is now in hospital and is doing well, last week we published a letter from Pte Wigston which was written in the trenches, Pte Wigston now writes - " just a few lines to let you know that I am keeping all right under the circumstances, we had a bayonet charge on the 19th inst, and I received a slight bullet wound on the right side, we were repulsed under a enfilading fire from three directions with medium losses. We are not allowed to give the names of the places. We joined the battalion at Ypres on the Belgian frontier, dug trenches and stayed for three or four days on the reserve, we were relieved by the 8th division and marched twelve kilometres to be billeted with French people at Moteron for eight days, there was only about a quarter of the original brigade left.

Pte David Wigston   7097  2nd Border Regiment was killed in action 16th May 1915


Make a free website with Yola